Sunday, March 30, 2008

Day One

So my family's weight loss competition has begun. I weighed myself today, and I was shocked to see a 2 in front of my weight. This, officially, has been my highest weight of my life. It was a very fluid number: the first time I stepped on the scale it said 202.5 which made me want to cry. Then, a few minutes later I stepped on again and it said 202. After going to the bathroom it said 199.5. Wow, losing weight is easy...all I have to do is think of it and it happens I thought to myself. However, I knew most of it was water weight as I've been eating very badly lately and so I was full of sodium. I figure after this first week of eating healthy I'll get to my "true" weight, and then can go from there.

I went to the gym and fell in love with working out again. I am not one of those people who can't stand working out: when I'm doing it, I love it. I turning up my music and sweating it out on a machine or outside on a track. Although I was never an athlete, I danced competitively from the ages of 6-18, and danced in college. I love moving to music. I did 15 minutes on the elliptical machine, and realized how out of shape I am. I used to be able to do 45 minutes with little effort...and I did the 15 minutes today fairly slowly because my heartrate was increasing too quickly. I have to constantly remind myself to start slowly so I don't get injured. I then did 35 minutes on the recumbant bicycle while reading US Weekly and listening to my music - it flew by.

The one thing I've noticed too is that when I start to gain control over something like eating right and working out, I want to take control over other things in my life such as my apartment (cleaning and organizing) and my career. Funny how that works, huh?

I know this is the "high" of starting a new healthy lifestyle, and I want to continue this for the rest of my life.

No comments: